Usually, whenever a new OS or OS update release happens, Microsoft will allow users to download it from the installer or download it as ISO to install them whenever we want using DVD/USB media. When Windows 8.1 was released this week, Microsoft made it available through Windows Store. However, there are ways to download Windows 8.1 ISO from Microsoft. Neowin posted the below steps which you can follow to download the ISO and install it from USB stick.
- Head over to http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-8/upgrade-product-key-only
- Scroll down and click Install Windows 8 (This will trigger the installer assistant).
- Enter your Windows 8, Windows 8 Pro or Windows 8 Upgrade product key, confirm that you will be downloading the bits for the version you paid for.
- As soon as it starts downloading, close the installer assistant from the (X) in the top-right corner.
- Go back to the Microsoft Windows upgrade page, click Install Windows 8.1, and download the newer installer assistant.
- Run the newer install assistant.
- When the download is complete, you can choose to install the OS right-then, or you can choose the option: Install by creating media. This option will allow you to create a USB/DVD media.
- Select USB drive if you want to install the installation files to a USB stick or select the ISO option if you want to obtain the ISO.
Enjoy the Windows 8.1 experience after installing from the downloaded ISO. Neowin has even got some screenshots of the process. Check them out from the link below.