Many users have experienced problems in upgrading their Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 . A solution has finally been posted over at the Microsoft Forums
SOLVED: Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 – Installing Windows 8.1 Preview (Error: 0×80070002)
- Windows 8.1 Preview successfully downloads, but fails during the “Gathering Information” stage of the installation. There error produced by the Windows Store is: “Something happened and the Windows 8.1 Preview couldn’t be installed. Please try again. Error code: 0×80070002″
- Cancelling the installation, re-downloading, and attempting to install produces the same error.
- The Event Viewer error reads: “Installation Failure: Windows failed to install the following update with error 0×80070002: English ESD Bundle Parent.”
Frustrated users tried the usual troubleshooting with no success:
- I have tried to download and install multiple times with the same error message.
- I have reset the Windows Store cache.
- I have downloaded and installed the latest drivers from Lenovo, including a firmware update and again tried installing Windows 8.1 Preview.
- I have tried running DISM in the command-line as administrator and again tried installing Windows 8.1 Preview.
- I have disabled SkyDrive and my anti-virus program (even disabled the associated services in “Services”) and again tried installing Windows 8.1 Preview.
- I have quit all tray applications and any third-party application running in the background via Task Manager and again tried installing Windows 8.1 Preview
- I have tried a “clean boot”- disabling all non-Microsoft services, disabling, all start-ups, rebooting, and attempting the installation again.
Solution for the Core i5 Version:
This solution applies to the Intel Core i5 version of the Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13. A lot of users running the Core i7 version have not been successful in getting this solution to work for them. I speculate that the solution would be similar.
- Download the “Dynamic Platform and Thermal Framework for Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)” from Lenovo Support to your Desktop here (you will use this in Step 5):
- Go to “Device Manager”. You can do this by searching for it in Windows 8 or by going to “Control Panel”.
- Expand the “System devices” tree and uninstall the following three devices (Right-click then select “Uninstall” (You will reinstall the driver after Windows 8.1 Preview has been installed):
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Driver
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework PCH Participant Driver
Intel(R) Dynamic Platform & Thermal Framework Processor Participant Driver
- Go to the Windows Store app and try to install Windows 8.1 Preview. The best indicator is to hover your mouse cursor over it and if the notification passes 72% you know its working.
- Once installation of Windows 8.1 Preview has finished and you are back to your Desktop. Run the “0tdf04ww.exe” installer you downloaded in Step 1.
Your Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 (Intel Core i5) should now be running Windows 8.1 Preview.
If you are still encountering a problem with installing Windows 8.1 Preview on your Lenovo Ideapad Yoga 13 (Intel Core i5). Try a “clean boot” and then try the steps above.Clean boot instructions: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/929135
You can also try disabling (or uninstalling to be completely sure it isn’t interfering) your antivirus program.
Source: Microsoft Answers