Microsoft today confirmed through a blog post that Windows On ARM ( Windows 8 ) will include Desktop mode. Along with the desktop mode, Windows On ARM will also have Microsoft Office running on it.
Here is the summary of the announcement,
- Windows on ARM, or WOA, is a new member of the Windows family that builds on the foundation of Windows.
- WOA PCs are still under development and our collective goal is for PC makers to ship them the same time as PCs designed for Windows 8 on x86/64.
- Metro style apps in the Windows Store can support both WOA and Windows 8 on x86/64.
- WOA can support all new Metro style apps, including apps from Microsoft for mail, calendaring, contacts, photos, and storage.WOA also includes industry-leading support for hardware-accelerated HTML5 with Internet Explorer 10.
- WOA includes desktop versions of the new Microsoft Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and OneNote.WOA supports the Windows desktop experience including File Explorer, Internet Explorer 10 for the desktop, and most other intrinsic Windows desktop features.
- With WOA you can look forward to integrated, end-to-end products—hardware, firmware and WOA software, all built from the ground up.
- Around the next milestone release of Windows 8 on x86/64, a limited number of test PCs will be made available to developers and hardware partners in a closed, invitation-only program.
- The Windows Consumer Preview, the beta of Windows 8 on x86/64, will be available for download by the end of February
Read the detailed post here.