As part of the series of blog posts explaining the apps that will come as a part of the Windows 8, Microsoft today detailed the new Calendar app. The new Calendar app is a great example of Metro-style app done right. Its simple, easy and effective to use. The app was designed with the following in mind,
- Show your life clearly. You should have crystal clear visibility into what’s happening in your life – at home, at work, and at school.
- Make it easy to get around. Moving back and forth in time should be quick and efficient. Opening events and appointments should feel natural.
- Make it easy to add new items. New things are always coming up in your life. A great calendar makes it easy to make new plans.
- Keep you on time. Well laid plans aren’t very useful if you show up late!
- Be ready to do more. As you get busier, scheduling gets more complicated. Calendar should gracefully handle your needs as they change.
To enable all the above, Microsoft has implemented multiple views such as week, month, day for your calendar, simple gestures to navigate to next month, clean design, support for Windows 8 notifications, support for Windows 8 snapped view, ability to add events, etc,.
Read more about it in detail from Building Windows 8 blog.