Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Scores 1 Out Of 10 For Repairability From Ifixit

11

Surface Repairability ScoreNot a surprise here. Microsoft’s next generation Surface Pro device Surface Pro 2 scored the same Repairability Score as its predecessor. It scored 1 out of 10, while 10 being the easiest to repair.

  • Microsoft Surface Pro 2 Repairability Score: 1 out of 10 (10 is easiest to repair)
  • The battery is not soldered to the motherboard—so it can be replaced without soldering, if not without great difficulty.
  • The SSD can be replaced, but not without first risking damage to the tablet simply by opening it.
  • There are over 90 screws inside this device. Mechanical fasteners are great, but frankly, we draw the line at 89.
  • The display assembly consists of a fused glass panel and LCD, and is extremely difficult to remove and replace.
  • Tons of adhesive hold everything in place, including the display and battery.
  • The delicate and arduous opening procedure leaves no room for mistakes: one slip-up, and you’ll likely shear one of the four ribbon cables in the edge of the display.

As always, you don’t have to really worry about repairing Surface Pro since it is one of the most reliable tablets out there.

Read step by step instructions from Fixit link below.

Source: Fixit



About Author

Pradeep, a Computer Science & Engineering graduate.

  • SategB

    “As always, you don’t have to really worry about repairing Surface Pro since it is one of the most reliable tablets out there.”
    – nice one!

  • Emily the Strange

    huh… you know this kind of “rates” are really stupid. since I dont know anyone who will want to open the Surface, especially since it has a nice 1 year warranty so Microsoft would be the one taking care of it…
    so yeah… its stupid rates like this that i dont understand, especially when you know.. Microsoft shouldnt worry about making a product easier to fix but instead, fast, and nice and beatiful, like are Surface tablets. and again, people would probably let Microsoft fix their Surface anyway, not take it/talk to stupid complainers that say, its hard to even open it and blabla.
    sometimes it would be nice to punch anyone who made up these kind of stupid sites with retarded rates.

    • IamDefiler

      Oh Emily, calm down.

  • techieg

    Who actually cares about any of this? Consumers buy tablets for usability not repairability. I’m sure the competition is no different. All these so-called sites just want to get their names in the news.

  • GG002

    Just Watch. All the Apple fanboys will echo this score for all eternity, even though iPad 4 had a measly 2 out of 10, and iPad Air maybe worse, due to even more limited space.

  • Willem Evenhuis

    Although very relevant to know I think most people who buy the surface [pro] are generally aware of this risk (myself a surface pro owner included). On the other hand your are paying a premium price, so you have all the right, in my opinion, to knock on microsofts front door if something is out of order. I think buying a surface is a symbiotic realtionship with microsoft. If something is wrong it is an equal part a responsibility for them to fix it as it is you.

  • ryan

    Either complain that the tablet is too big and thick or complain that it isn’t completely modular and can be easily disassembled, the choice is yours, folks. Does anyone actually think they are going to order parts and service a tiny consumer electronics device at some point?

  • Jeff Hung

    When more than 90% of gadgets are eventually killed by obsolescence, it totally makes sense to care about repairability of the rest 10%.

  • Guest

    I misread this, I though it said only 1 out of 10 owners would even want to repair a Surface…probably true too!

    • hushv

      lol

  • NGM123

    At least their not designed to break easily in the first place and generate tons of cash via the constant repairs. Yes, I’m looking at u apple.