During the commencement of Sochi Olympic games, Microsoft announced its partnership with NBC to stream thousands of hours of content to millions of users. Today, Microsoft highlighted the work they did with Sochi Olympics games. Various Microsoft technologies like Windows, Windows Azure, SharePoint, Microsoft Dynamics, Microsoft ERP, etc, were deployed to run this huge event successfully.
“It is a great recognition and honor for Microsoft Russia to become a supplier of the Sochi Olympics. Microsoft technologies ensured that the innovative Olympic Games in Sochi were organized at the highest level and, in our view, contributed to the establishment of a new technological standard for large sports events organization in Russia and the whole world. The website sochi2014.com powered by Windows azure will give the opportunity to Organizing Commettes of the next Games to benefit from the experience and architectural solutions developed by Microsoft and other technology partners of the Organizing Committee “Sochi 2014”, noted Nikolay Pryanishnikov, the President of Microsoft Russia.
For the entire duration of the sports events, the following statistics detail the success of the website sochi2014.com powered by Windows Azure:
• During the period of staging of the Sochi Olympics, more than 100 million visits hit the official website.
• The maximum number of visitors was from Russia, USA, Canada, Ukraine and France.
• The Figure Skating and unofficial Medal Standings attracted greatest interest.
• At peak load, more than 175 thousand visitors were on the website at the same time. The difference between the peak load and minimum load was 15-fold
• They browsed webpages with live results generating more than 90 thousand requests per second.
• More than 5 million users visited the website daily. They viewed more than 30 million pages.
• Windows Azure was used to provide information from mobile devices based on any type of platform (more than 6 million of app installations).
• Overall, during the Games, users viewed more than 500 million pages, generating more than 25 billion requests to Windows Azure virtual machines.
• Microsoft Enterprise Services designed and developed the web site solution, and had a team of 23 people standing by to assist 24/7 on site.
Read more about it here.