Neowin has published a report on the supposed Surface 2 specs. As expected, Surface Pro 2 will be powered by Intel Haswell based CPU which will double its current battery life from 3-4 hours to 6-7 hours. While the look and feel of the device will remain the same, it seems Microsoft has refined the kickstand to some extent.
- Haswell-based Core i5
- Will help increase battery life significantly
- RAM doubled from 4GB to 8GB.
- Not sure how much I believe this since it seems somewhat unnecessary and increases power consumption
- Device will look similar to the current Pro
- Microsoft has “refined” the kickstand
- Possibly one that is more robust stand that is stronger or one that offers alternative viewing angles (speculation)
- Price will remain the same
- Launches near the release of Windows 8.1
Microsoft is also planning a large marketing campaign during the launch period to promote the new generation of Surface devices.
Update: Paul Thurrott corroborates most of the information posted above and provided following new info,
- Microsoft is working on a 2nd gen Surface RT called Surface 2.
- The upcoming Surface Pro 2 will offer a choice of RAM. The choices are 4 GB and 8 GB.
- Surface Pro 2 and Surface 2 will ship with an integrated two-position kickstand.
What do you think of this new specs?