We already know about the changes that are coming in Windows 8.1 Update 1 in which Microsoft is trying to address the concerns of keyboard/mouse users of Windows 8.1. Windows 8.1 Spring update will hit MSDN on April 2 and Windows Update on April 8th. WZor today reported that Microsoft has finalzied the Windows 8.1 Spring update build and the Gold RTM build string is 6.3.9600.17031.WINBLUE_GDR.140221-1952.
New features in Windows 8.1 Update 1:
- Metro apps have a title bar, with close/minimize buttons and the ability to “Split left/right” when you right-click it.
- You can keep taskbar visible while using modern apps
- Control Panel item in metro PC Settings
- 200% and 250% DPI scaling modes added to control panel (in 8.1 RTM, to get these values you have to go “custom”), 250% is the default on screens with more than 1800 vertical lines
- Shutdown button on the start screen*, doesn’t show on less than 8″ tablets to prevent accidental shutdown
- Search button on the start screen*
- Instead of metro bars (top and bottom) a context menu appears when you right-click an app on the start screen*
- Pinning metro apps to desktop taskbar*
- Internet Explorer Enterprise Mode
There are several other features in Windows 8.1 Update 1, find them in our previous coverage.
New Windows 8.1 Update 1 Screenshots Reveal Jumplists And Media Controls Support For Modern Apps In Taskbar
Windows 8.1 Update 1 Leak Continues: New Search And Power Buttons, Traditional Context Menu Support In Start Screen