NOOK for Windows 8 v1.5 adds new features:
• Simplified user interface makes it easier to browse and search
• Faster performance in app opening, scrolling and page turning
• Download in the background while you read, shop or use other apps
• Side load ePub and PDF files from the local file system
• Search icon on home and library screens
• Type in your library or the shop to instantly search
• Highlight words in books using multiple colors
• Add notes to books • Find words or phrases in books
• Lookup word definitions in the dictionary
• Manage subscriptions
Nook is available for both Windows 8 and RT and you can sign into the account using your Microsoft account. Along with new features and a performance bump there is a half-off promotion on many items in the Nook Store. As further incentive, B&N is offering customers 50 percent off certain bestselling books and magazine issues, at least for a limited time. Buyers can get half off on such titles as “Outliers: The Story of Success,” “Freakonomics,” “Bitter Brew: The Rise and Fall of Anheuser-Busch and America’s Kings of Beer,” “The Hit,” and “Top of the Morning: Inside the Cutthroat World of Morning TV.” Magazines up for a discount include “National Geographic,” “Us Weekly,” “Rolling Stone,” “Men’s Health,” and “Wired.” Users can find these deals by scrolling to the “Shop Popular Lists” section within the app.
Microsoft has invested $300 million in Nook about a year ago. Not much has came out of this partnership. A recent reported revealed that Nook would no longer produce its tablets in house and would be outsourcing them overseas.
Download: Nook For Windows 8